Friday, May 26, 2006

Wisdom on the bus or...

It is friday so here I am to spread the hope and positive vibes through this blog.

Last week something happened which can change/improve not only my life but yes also yours, after reading this post. I travel by public transport for college and as we all know that life is so busy that we usually dont get ample time to do various things we want to during a span of a day so I usually read a course book or any other book during the journey.. only if I am lucky to get a vacant seat =P which mostly I do.

As usual I was reading my book, while doing that an uncle came and asked me to hold his diary as he was standing. Soon he got a seat behind me. He thanked me for holding his belongings and asked me, "Are you still studying?" I asked in affirmation. It is very odd for people in my country i.e. Pakistan to read books in a bus.. they feel it is very nerdy, again if there is 40% literacy rate which is obviously an overrated figure then you can't expect anything else but his words had a certain different tone to it. Following it he said this, "Do you want me to give you an advice for getting clever fast?" I said, "Hmm." as I don't like to talk to people/strangers in bus.

This was his reply, "Just sit with the people which are older than you and you will become clever very fast. I just did that mistake. (period)" I first found it very stupid but as soon as I gave it a second thought, I got exactly what he wanted to say but I did think and I still do that this statement requires an explanation or say deep interpretation. My stop came just in few minutes and before my departure the old man wished me good luck and I smiled back to him.

The thing is that age brings experience with it and if our social circle has people who are elder than us than not only we can learn from their experiences and prepare ourselves better for the world and its challenges but also it helps us to make good choices and contacts. I guess being in the circle of intellectuals and please not nerdy but the people with enlightening opinions and perspective is always an advantage whether they are younger or older than you because it opens your mindset about certain issues and you get familiar with so many new idea. When we talk about same age conversations there are two sides of it. It helps us in dealing with ourselves in the present time because we might feel same at that age or have same responsibilites et cetera but the other side to it is that it can be a great wastage of time because of all the fun and gossip factor so it is really important to be wise in choosing your company in order to be wise.

So the bottom line is that your observation and listening skills do help you in getting wisdom; and people can learn so much from a good company and experiences.

6 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so true!!
and this does not necessarily go for ppl who r older in age but also who r intellectually and spiritually older than us. u get to learn a lot even if u pay atention to what a child is sayin. life is full of learning experiences only if we r observant and receptive to whats happening around us.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger gh said...

And this thing is in our traditions as well.

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamoalaykum w.w.!

Yeah, I guess he was very right ... you can learn quiter faster through people ... their attitudes teach yo more ... I agree to you bottom-line too .... so now what would u be doing while riding :)

Very nice post and thanks for the nudge on other blog :D

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Raheel Lakhani said...

Sid, yes that was my point :)

GH, Many good things are in our traditions but the point is how often do we actually apply or use ;em

Asma, The more senses you use, the greater you learn. My pleasure!! :)

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Raheel Lakhani said...

Aamanna,
Here are my opinions,

1. His advice not about replacing a book with another thing. I guess he saw my interest in education and he thought he should give me an advice and he never said to me that dont read books or something.

2. I don't consider educated masses as intellectuals rather they are people who have vision about things and a flair for observation. It was about keeping a good intellectual company and its importance, not about neglecting others. Jeena hai toh sab ke saath rehna aur seekhna hai but if you talk about your usual social circle I would prefer it more.

3. Every person has a particular mindset and list of habits. If I dont feel comfortable with talking to anyone or you can starting a conversation this is my lacking but once he started talking we did have a small conversation. Still I will try to improve myself :)

4. The problem is that I have a shoulder injury so I can't stand much but if I see that the person is way old then I do try but yes again we should act this way for suer.

Thanks for sharing your views, I appreciate!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger S. Jabbar said...

True it is but the downside or upside (one of the side) it is that it becomes difficult to hang around with people of your own or lesser age then you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home